Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What A Difference A Year Makes

It's a cliche statement in the sporting world, but I am going to say it one time: No one could have predicted the Alabama Crimson Tide to be 12-0 going into the SEC Championship. Alcohol was often involved when such bold statements were made. I personally thought the Crimson Tide would finish 8-4 at worst and 10-2 at best.

Many 800 lbs. gurillas were lifted off the Alabama programs back including ending Auburn's six game winning streak and Saban beating his former team, LSU. The "process" Saban always mentions is not only taking place, it is a year ahead of schedule.

With all this momentum, I am excited about the Sugar Bowl.

At the moment, the players are on a brief Christmas break and will return to practice in New Orleans on December 27th. That means the players will be in The Big Easy for six nights before the game on January 2nd. This trip to New Orleans is unique for the Crimson Tide because this is the only time each season the team will not travel together to the game. Many players will carpool in order to save their traveling expenses to spend on other things and some will have to fly.

If you have ever been to New Orleans, you know the temptations that are thrown at you. Saban is taking a very relaxed stance when trying to prevent his players from getting into any kind of trouble by saying, "I can't be on Bourbon Street with my whistle like at practice. ... I know if one of our guys messes up, it's going to be my fault. And I'm going to be in bed."

I thought that was a great response, but Saban's approach is not as relaxed as that statement makes it out to be. A curfew will be set and speakers have already talked to the team about what to do and what not to do.

No comments: