Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gene Chizik Wears Nick Saban Pajamas

I woke up Friday morning and began my routine - shower, get dressed, toast an english muffin with peanut butter and jelly, and enjoy it with a glass of milk while watching SportsCenter. I was definitely surprised to hear ESPN announce that Will Muschamp is expected to be named Head Coach of Auburn. I have a great deal of respect for Muschamp and although Saban and his staff are great recruiters, Muschamp would pull some recruits away from Alabama.

The recruit that immediately came to my head was Dre Kirkpatrick, who has a strong relationship with Muschamp, is visiting Texas and has the Longhorns high on his list. I really don't think Kirkpatrick will got to Texas because of the fact he has a child and that would be a long distance from his home and family in Gadsden, Ala.

Instead, the Muschamp rumors became just another pole holding up the tent for the circus known as the Auburn Head Coaching Search. Auburn named former Auburn Defensive Coordinator and current Iowa State Head Coach, Gene Chizik, to be the next Auburn Head Coach. I am not exactly worried anymore. Chizik has a record of 5-19 in two seasons at Iowa State. To call this hire questionable, is an understatement.

Although I am playing down how bad Auburn missed the target, but Brian Harbach is not taking it easy on the Tigers his blog. The Paul Clark, pubisher of Iowa State's Cyclone Report, shows his excitement to get rid of Chizik is this article.

No comments: