Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The New Big Man On Campus



I added the different version of the pre-game video to excite everyone about the approaching season. With preseason camp less than a month away for the Crimson Tide of Alabama and SEC Media Days just three weeks away, I keep catching myself wondering about the upcoming season. The main thing I cannot quit thinking about is what freshmen are going to make an immediate impact. Bama On-line has not helped my curiosity by posting their opinion on the Top 10 Impact Signees.

I have tried to stay off the bandwagon of this year's excellent recruiting class, but I cannot stop myself from believing that there are going to be at least five freshman standouts due to good play. Amongst Jarrell Harris, Courtney Upshaw and Don'ta Hightower, two out of these three incoming freshman linebackers will see success because of the opportunity to gain a lot of early playing time with the shortage in players at this position.

With the athletes that Mark Barron and Burton Scott are, I find it inconceivable for them not to make an immediate impact on either offense, defense or special teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a contribution in all three of those categories.

The wild card I am throwing out in this game of seven card stud is Alonzo Lawrence. He came on very strong at the end of his high school career and really proved himself in, not just holding his own, but stopping elite receivers like Julio Jones while practicing for the Alabama vs. Mississippi All-Star Game.

Then there is the question, WWJD (What Will Julio Do)? This young man is going to find his way into the top three wide receivers at one point throughout the season. But there is also another receiver I feel is going to surprise people and that is Chris Jackson. After enrolling at The Capstone this past December and getting the advantage of a spring under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised to see some playing time for this three star prospect, but then again, he might decide to red-shirt.

What freshman do you think is going to make the biggest difference for The Tide?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running back position will be impacted the most by true freshman.




Daddy

Clay said...

Mark Ingram, Matchett and a couple other might be able to contribute, but I think with the experienced offensive line and Grant, Coffee and Upchurch all being healthy, I could see a the freshman RBs redshirting or not getting much PT.