Sunday, June 8, 2008

Different Side of Saban


I finally got a chance to watch the "Under The Lights" feature Fox Sports did on Alabama, and I just thought I would give my thoughts. It is clearly evident that Alabama is on the right track. Saban seems to have filtered out the players that he feels weaken the program and players that probably don't want to be there anyway.

I also felt like the feature showed a more personable side to Saban. The feature had scenes of him speaking with the players and even joking around at times. It exemplified how strongly he really does care about these players. Having now seen this side of Saban and also seeing the side he shows to the journalists, I believe that he is the perfect coach for the Alabama Football program.

He cares about nothing more than developing these players and reviving the program. He doesn't care about being known with the newspapers as personable. He also cares nothing about making the boosters happy just to make the boosters happy. With this mindset, the Tide is definitely on the up.

On a side note: The Saban family has donated $1 million in scholarship money to the University of Alabama. The scholarship money is aimed to assist first generation college students. I guess it is even more difficult to say he is a jerk now huh? More information about the scholarship can be found at al.com.

No comments: